Asheville, North Carolina-based National Hammered Dulcimer Champion, Joshua Messick, breathes new life into an ancient, enchanting instrument. Be transported as he weaves cinematic stylings and endless imagination with virtuosic performances. A beautiful and captivating listening experience, Joshua’s musical artistry is influenced by Celtic, World, Renaissance, Folk, and Classical music.
In this fascinating interview, Joshua discusses:
- How he found his life's calling at the age of 4.
- A brief history of the hammered dulcimer
- A description of the physical features and range of the instrument
- What it takes to be a national champion of the hammered dulcimer and a healthy view of competition
- His decision to give up a steady job and "make it happen" as a MusicPreneur.
- Key quote: "If you have passion without purpose, you'll never make any progress."
- The first steps of his career as a MusicPreneur.
- He changed his diet
- He joined the gym - and actually used it.
- He began to be money wise.
- His goal in the early days was to establish relationships with people listening to him play on the streets of Houston, TX.
- The Lie of Music
- Tactics on leveraging an email list for monetization
This was a thoroughly enjoyable interview, so much so that we decided to record a second one. That will be the next episode of the podcast!
**Are you looking for a support system to guide you to the next level, to tackle that project you've wanted to do? Then I encourage you to consider Half Steps to Success: A Musical Mastermind. Go to halfstepstosuccess.com to join the beta group! Through the end of January, 2017, a LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP is $500.