This is a continuation of the conversation with Joshua Messick, hammered dulcimer player located in Asheville, NC. In it, we discuss:
- The importance of niching when building your brand as a MusicPreneur
- Leaving Houston for Asheville, NC.
- Arranged a mini-tour of the Appalachian region to find where he would fit in.
- Knew one person in Asheville, but knew he belonged there.
- Started street-performing, selling CD's.
- He played in front of the "Song of the Wood" hammered dulcimer store in Asheville.
- Street performed 4 days/week.
- After 3 months, over 100 people showed up for concerts he scheduled. ***Paying customers.
- People showed support by buying tickets.
- Produced Christmas album - marketed to email list. Sold 1,000 copies in 4 days!!!
Hot Tip: Add email subscribers via mail chimp app on your phone/tablet rather than writing down. People will forget to do it and sometimes you can't read their handwriting!
- Differences between Houston and Asheville
- Different mindset in how to consume art.
- Houston: How can we use art or the artist to make money?
- Asheville: How can we support this artist who is making my life better?
- Asheville much more community oriented.
- Josh's progression from "new guy in town" to established artist.
- Priority is to have integrity with how he shares his talent rather than take whatever gig comes his way.
- Produce content that is honest, real and true to his artistry.
- If it's not, "Absolutely yes!" it's a "no."
- Josh's "absolutely Yes" is recording and playing concerts. Target: 2-3 per month.
- Josh's upcoming project: Featured artist for a feature produced by Studio Ghibli.
**The end of the episode features Joshua Messick performing Woodland Dance. It can also be viewed for free at Josh's website.
About the guest: Asheville, North Carolina-based National Hammered Dulcimer Champion, Joshua Messick, breathes new life into an ancient, enchanting instrument. Be transported as he weaves cinematic stylings and endless imagination with virtuosic performances. A beautiful and captivating listening experience, Joshua’s musical artistry is influenced by Celtic, World, Renaissance, Folk, and Classical music.
Ready to take on that project or take an existing venture to the next level? Join the Half Steps to Success Mastermind and mesh minds with fellow MusicPreneur's! Visit halfstepstosuccess.com for more info!