Founder of Ignited Network. Designed specifically for artists to connect with their "super fans."
60-70% of artist's revenue is from their super fans: people who spend at least $100 per year on the artist via albums, shows, merch, etc.
Preneur Problem: What to do with all the social media platforms?
- Social Media is not simply a tool. It's your entire business.
- Whoever owns the audience wins. Power of super fans.
- Platforms change their algorithms constantly. Ignited is a social media platform where artists have direct control over how they interact with their fans.
Story: What problem are you solving? (Creating a "rally cry")
Plan: Google "The Lean Canvas"
Army: The influencers and people who surround you. "Early adopters" who are your advocates and who are engaged with what you're doing.
Conversion: "Funnels" building trust with consumers who
Education: You must learn how to do these things. Spend 2 hours per day reading blogs, following people, learning the tools and tactics, etc. to learn how to think like a business person.
You can't make money selling music anymore. The new model for MusicPreneurs is subscriptions, memberships, etc. "Creating a lifestyle, then find people who desire that lifestyle and will pay you for it."
What did Scott learn from his days with Pink Floyd that translate to the modern MusicPreneur model?
- It's a totally different time.
- So many more options to make and distribute music than existed in the 80's and 90's.
- The last artist through "the system" is Drake.
- You must be in the media business, or you're going to be out of business.
Shelita Burke is a perfect example of the new MusicPreneur model.
- She built her audience by engaging directly with them, not catering to the whims and desires of the labels.
- It gives an unprecedented amount of leverage when cutting a deal.
- The challenge for the MusicPreneur is finding and engaging with the audience.
We're not in the "music" business, we're in the "connecting" business.
The power of Google: You can find anything you want - for free.
Scott's Pink Floyd page on Ignited Live. http://ignitedlive.com/superfan/iamscottpage
The most important thing any artist can do today:
Get educated. Think like a businessperson. When you're creating something, think about the purpose. How will it serve your audience?
Secrets of the Musical Mind - Roger Moisan