Job Security for the Unemployable
Michael O’Neal is the host of the popular podcast, Solopreneur Hour: Job Security for the Unemployable and co-host of the Hines Ward Show. If you’re an NFL fan, yes, it’s that Hines Ward.
He is also a professional drummer and still finds time in his busy schedule to be an active performer in the San Diego area.
Here is an outline of our chat!
- Michael’s recent experience covering the NFL playoffs and making rookie mistakes
- James recounts a rookie mistake as a podcaster
- What do the Pros use for recording equipment?
- Zoom recorder, not into the computer, on SD card
- One shot at an interview with an A-List personality
- Make sure equipment is a reason for failure
- MO talks Music
- Was in a band. One show per month, proceeds went to one member’s equipment. Always kept equipment in shape.
- Same as investing 10% per month into the business
- When they began treating their band like a business, they got better gigs.
- Career Highlight: Performing at Red Rocks Amphitheater in CO.
- A near miss with making it big in the music business.
- In the same orbit as a big-time producer, never approached him.
- Ego issues, struggle finding a common dynamic within the group.
- Breaking into the San Diego music scene
- Lots of great drummers, hard to break in
- Look for open jams, show up make yourself known.
- What does it mean to be “unemployable”
- Left a job and began freelancing.
- Took another job after 4 years freelancing.
- Realized his perspective had changed from his earlier days as an employee.
- Butted heads with supervisor.
- It means you know too much about how entrepreneurs can live their lives.
- Mission of the Solopreneur Hour podcast
- Expose reality of how entrepreneurs live their lives: relationships, finances, see the reality behind it.
- Help others who may be unemployable make the right decision.
- More fun stuff
- Purchased his dream drum while doing the interview! (See photo below)
- Talking vintage instruments
If you’re a podcaster looking to take your interviewing game to the next level, I highly recommend Michael’s course, Art of the Interview.
Want to rock the next conference you attend? Then check out Michael’s FREE course, Conferencetopia.